Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

I have a lot to be thankful for and I thought that given the extreme anger and bitterness in our community lately, I would say a few things about my own thankfulness. Much of this is quite personal, though I think knowing I'm real with real issues and a real family might make me somehow more real to you.

And so, I'm thankful for:
  1. My ability to return home and help my mom in her daily challenges of living with her condition and her continuing health degradation.
  2. The doctors who have kept my mom alive, who help her breathe, who have been supportive and helpful in getting medicines neither one of us can afford.
  3. For my older sister and one of my older brothers who have helped my mom and I stay in the condo we live in through their financial assistance.
  4. For the VA doctors trying to save my other older brother's life, and maybe his leg.
  5. The fact that all my five other siblings are alive.
  6. The medicines that help my older sister live (Google "suicide disease" to see why).
  7. The woman I love, who drives me crazy and leaves me flabbergasted. And yet I couldn't imagine my life without her.
  8. The knowledge that my younger sister has not only survived breast cancer, but fights hard daily to save her marriage and believes there is value in the struggle. She is a beacon of light to her sons. And me.
  9. The jobs I have, which while below my skills and experience, are decent, honorable jobs that allow me to serve the public, which is what I love the most.
  10. The city of Troy, which is dysfunctional, angry, bitter and broken, allowing us all the opportunity to come together as a community, a family, and come to terms with that which we don't wish to compromise. We will. And we will force them to, as well. It must be so.
  11. For God, the Force of life within us all, the Power that animates our otherwise empty vessels, filling with both fear, anger, sadness and retribution, but also joy, love, empathy and forgiveness. Why both? Because we must understand our weaknesses to appreciate our strengths. This is the path to our better selves.
I love this holiday because it's still mostly pure. We only wish to pause and give thanks, to our loves, our friends, our families or our God. Maybe a parade, with the kids. Or maybe a football game, with pals. But no shopping. No gifts. Just families and friends spending time at the dinner table with one another.

Maybe we can come together at another table, in a conference room somewhere, and give thanks for the community bequeathed to us, the community we are responsible to heal and grow. I give thanks for the belief that this is still possible.

May you all have a peaceful evening and know the true thanks we must all recognize we owe someone in our lives.

No comments: